One of my goals in life is to turn everyone on to fish by showing them how delicious it can be. I've converted many nay sayers in a single meal, and I believe their lives will benefit more than they will ever know. Why?
Because eating cold-water fatty fish high in Omega 3 on a regular basis can reduce your risk of dying from heart disease. Thats right, you can avoid the single biggest killer in North America by introducing fatty fish to your diet every week! Experts say 2x week is enough but I like to recommend my clients get up to three servings of fatty fish a week for improved benefits to the heart, and brain, as Omega 3 is also neuroprotective.
Okay, now onto the flavours.
If you don't love the flavour of anchovies, mackerel or sardines, fear not. Pâté is an excellent way to subside the fishy taste. This recipe is full of incredible health benefits and strong flavour boosters, making it a super food snack thats easy to prepare and store. Ticks all my boxes.
This recipe is:
- Anti-bacterial due to the rosemary and raw garlic
- Heart protective thanks to the fish oil and olive oil
- Brain protective due to the walnuts and fish
- Citrusy and herbaceous
- Garlicky and savory
- Smooth and crunchy textured.
Pair this pâté with apple slices or cucumber slices and you have a paleo treat that works for an auto-immune diet, paleo, AIP, dairy free, gluten free, all the things!
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 large White onion (sliced)
- 3 clove(s)Garlic
- 1 can Sardine, canned in olive oil
- 1 tsp Rosemary, dried
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tspSea salt
- 1/4 tspBlack pepper
- In a medium skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the sliced onions and rosemary.
- Stir and cover, cook until browned.
- Remove from the stove and set aside.
- In a food processor, add your garlic cloves and process until minced.
- Add in the sardines with the olive oil, caramelized onions, lemon juice, salt and pepper and pulse until smooth.
- Add the walnuts and pulse again until well incorporated, but the walnuts are still a little chunky.
- Place into a sealable glass storage jar and finish with the zest of 1/2 lemon.
- Serve with cucumber slices, apple slices or crackers.