As soon as I saw these Candy-Striped Beets at the farmer's market, I had to have them. Preparing them in a raw salad maintains their flavour and crunch! Matchstick raw veg is one of my favourite things to prepare. This salad is so refreshing and the perfect side dish to grilled meats and fish, or as a light lunch with a side of soft boiled eggs and quinoa. Simple fresh herbs, lemon and apple cider vinegar dressing means that you can whip this up any time with what you have in the fridge. Ingredients:
- 6 small candy-striped beets
- two small yellow zucchini
- 1/2 green zucchini
- 1 shallot
- handful of fresh parsley
- 5 basil leave
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- a couple lugs of good olive oil
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Using a peeler, peel the skin off the beets. Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, shave the beets into very thin little rounds. Then slice diagonally to make matchsticks.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise very thin. Then slice diagonally to make longs strips, and cut into half or thirds depending on length. Try to keep the same length as the beet matchsticks. If the green zucchini are too large, cut around the soft seedy middle part and discard this bit.
- Finely chop parsley and basil and add to bowl with matchsticks
- Finely slice shallots and add to a small bowl. Cover in vinegar and lemon juice, and let macerate for several minutes.
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper, and whip to emulsify the dressing. Pour over veggies, mix well and serve.