The benefits of a grain free diet can do wonders for the digestive system, help to heal a leaky gut, balance blood sugar and even have a positive influence on autoimmune diseases.
Yet finding gluten-free dishes for breakfast can be a challenge, especially if you'd like a break from those smoothies.
This recipe is quick and easy to make with ingredients you probably already have in your cupboard. It's also a paleo friendly breakfast option.
- 1 egg
- 1 ripe banana, mashed with a fork
- 1.5 cups of rolled oats
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1.5 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- sprinkle of salt
- 1 tbsp honey (preferably unpasteurized)
- sliced almonds
- Add chia seeds, flax seeds and oats to a blender and blend until powdered. Add cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and salt and pulse once more the blend.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg, then add the banana and smash with a fork.
- Add the almonds and honey and mix.
- Add the powdered ingredients from the blender into the dry wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat
- Add 1 tsp of butter to the skillet and a drizzle of olive oil. Once butter is slightly bubbling add a scoop of batter about the size of an espresso plate.
- Cook until small bubbles begin to appear on the top of the pancake, then flip and continue to cook for another several minutes until lightly browned.
- Continue to cook the batter in batches, adding butter to the pan between each batch .
- Sprinkle in shaved almonds and sliced banana and a pinch of salt.
- Serve hot and drizzle in honey or maple syrup.