If you're an athlete, you know big games can be full of excitement but also coupled with anxiousness. Thankfully there are habits you can implement in order to arrive clear and composed on the pitch which gives you a competitive edge.
The fuel you put in your body is just as important as training sessions. Getting into a pre-game routine can ensure you're performing optimally when it counts.
Here are Top 10 Tips that will ensure your body and mind are as fit as possible:
- Hydrate well with water the day before the game as well as game day in order to saturate your muscles. Strive for clear urine. Dehydration can lead to fatigue and poor reaction time.
- Eat a Home-Cooked Meal of complex carbohydrates and protein about 3 hours before the game for optimum stomach emptying time and top energy levels. Complex carbs can include root vegetables, beans, legumes or brown rice.
- Proper Sleep before a game is imperative to top performance. Avoid electronics and anything with a blue light at least 1 hour before bed to achieve the most restorative sleep.
- Avoid Artificial Stimulants such as energy drinks which will inevitably cause an energy crash. This can be devastating, especially in the second half of a game. For sustained energy rely on protein and monounsaturated fats such as almonds.
- Pre-game Clarity can be achieved by arriving prepared and calm. Avoid mental exertion before the game such as playing video games. Getting into a routine can put you in control and reduce pre-game jitters. Soccer is a very mentally draining sport, so don't waste mental energy on worrying.
Nicole Di Nardo CNP